Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 15

Big day today. It was my first day back at the office. It went alright. We are are in the middle of moving floors so I have been temporarily uprooted into a cubicle. It wouldn't be that bad for the 2 weeks ill be sitting there but when your face is swollen and you don't even feel like you look like yourself, it's a little uncomfortable. I'm still getting used to going out in public.

I then had my 2 week postop appointment. The doc said my bite is perfect! However, I did get in trouble for not exercising my jaw. Apparently I should be able to open my mouth 25mm by now....I could only open it 12mm. Sad face. When I saw him last week he mentioned I should practice moving around my jaw. I didn't know how much I was supposed to exercise! The resident, Simon, taught me what movements to do. I have to move my jaw to each side, forward, and then open as wide as I can and hold each position for 30 seconds. I have to do this for an hour....3 times a day! That's 3 hours a day! The purpose is to break down scar tissue. The longer your jaw is immobile, the more scar tissue builds up. Apparently if I ever want to eat a hamburger again I have to stick to this regimen.

While at the doc office, I also had to practice taking on and off my elastics. I had been avoiding this because I'm terrified of my own mouth. I learned where the stitches are but I have no desire to see them. Simon also had me take out my retainer from the roof of my mouth. After some maneuvering we finally got it! And oh boy that was the grossest part of my surgery so far! I have never had more of an appreciation for oral hygiene as I do now.



No comments:

Post a Comment