Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 29

Big leaps today! At lunch time today I decided to try mashed potatoes out of curiosity. Success! I even used a spoon! It was still difficult though, it ended up being easier turning the spoon upside down and eating it like you would peanut butter on a spoon. The retainer on the roof of my mouth is a constant hindrance. It's not that my jaw hurts when I try to eat, it's that there is no room!

I also had my one month post-op where the resident called me his favorite patient. They then measured my mobility and I opened my mouth a whole 28mm, even wider than the other day. That means I basically doubled it in 2 weeks. I also got the okay to start eating super soft foods hooray! I still have to be extremely careful but I can start adding soft fish, well done pasta, and other mush foods to my diet.

When I came home from class tonight I immediately went to grocery store and stocked up on smoothie ingredients, fish, go-gurt, and soup. I decided to take a stab at eating ravioli....and I did it! It wasn't the prettiest site but at least I got to eat something that I didn't have to drink out of a cup.

As for the swelling, it's getting better slowly but surely. The bottom left is sill bigger but my bottom right seems to be getting closer to normal. The main swelling is in the upper lip, cheeks and nose. Oh how I miss the use of my upper lip. Its really hard to smile properly when your top lip doesn't move.

After today I'm also going to only post every other day since the worst part is over and my next appointment isn't for another month.

1 comment:

  1. congrats on the mashed potatoes. hearing that makes me hopeful!!

    ReplyDelete